The hippopotamus one of Africa’s best-known animals. This huge mammal lives a semiaquatic existence, spending most of the day in rivers, lakes and swamps, and only emerging at dusk.
Despite being herbivorous, it is no gentle giant: hippos are notoriously dangerous in the wild.
Sadly, like many of Africa’s large animals, the hippo is threatened by both habitat loss and hunting. Its conservation status is now ‘vulnerable’.
This article contains hippo facts for kids, students and adults, and is part of our African Animals series.
Welcome to Active Wild's new Animal of the Week section!
Each week we'll be featuring an extra special member of the animal kingdom, and giving it its own page.
We'll take an in-depth look at the selected animal, and present all of the essential information in a clearly presented, easy-to-read article.
Of course, we'll also include the very best pictures, not to mention incredible facts and figures!
See all of the previously featured animals here: Animal Of The Week Archive.
Be sure to subscribe to Active Wild to ensure you never miss a new animal! (You can fill in a form further down the page).
This page contains Emperor Penguin facts for kids and adults. Learn all about the world’s biggest penguin, with information, pictures and video …
- You can learn more about Antarctica, the Emperor Penguin’s frozen home, here: Antarctica Facts
- Find out more about Antarctic wildlife here: Antarctic Animals
- See a list of EVERY penguin species (with pictures & facts) here: Penguin Species List
- Discover amazing facts about penguins here: Penguin Facts
- Learn about the penguins of Antarctica here: Antarctic Penguins